Friday, January 4, 2013

Angelfall by Susan Ee

When I picked up "Angelfall" by Susan Ee this morning (at 11am to be precise :D ), I didn't expect to finish it at 9 pm. I downloaded the book because it was on sale for just 99 cents in the Kindle Store. The reviews were mainly positive, so I thought I'd give it a try. But I definitely wasn't expecting THIS.


Source: Amazon

  • Paperback: 290 pages
  • Publisher: Amazon Children's Publishing; First Edition edition (August 28, 2012)
  • Available as: Paperback, Kindle eBook
  • Get it on Amazon.com











Plot:


The book is another YA dystopian novel (I know. I can't help it). Penryn is 17, her mother is schizophrenic, and her little sister sits in a wheelchair. Penryn's sister is captured by angels who have brought  apocalypse to the world. Penryn finds an angel (Raffe) who has lost his wings, saves his life, and takes him captive because she hopes to retrieve her sister with his help.  So the two of them embark on a journey to get his wings back and rescue the young girl.

My thoughts:


I just couldn't put this book down. The world Susan Ee created is so dangerous but real, and the characters so relatable that I HAD TO find out what happens next. There really was no point where I thought the book was boring. 

There's one thing I dislike about many dystopian YA books: Very often protagonists try to save the whole society and forget about what's good for themselves and their families. This wasn't the case in Angelfall, and I'm so glad about that. Penryn doesn't try to save the human world from angels, all she does is trying to save her sister. She's no super hero, she's just a normal person, and she acts the way a normal person would act in that situation. But still, Penryn is pretty badass. (And Raffe is probably one of the most awesome guys in YA fiction. Tobias aka Four (from Divergent), watch out! :D )


Angelfall is the first book in a series. I don't know how many books will be in the series, but hopefully the second book will be released soon (since Susan Ee finished the book with quite a cliffhanger)... 

 Rating:


I'm giving this book a 4,5 out of 5 because it was kind of short for my taste. But compared to ASoS by GRRM (a 1100 page book) which I finished yesterday any book seems short, I guess. 


So, keeping score:


25 Books Challenge: 8% completed (January 4, 2013)

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you! Please leave a comment: