Monday, March 11, 2013

Requiem by Lauren Oliver


Disclaimer: This review contains SPOILERS! Requiem is the third book in a trilogy. If you haven't read Delirium, Pandemonium and Requiem yet, please do, the books are amazing. Only read this review if you have finished reading REQUIEM!

 

Source: Goodreads
 
Now, WHAT WAS THAT?



92% of the book read (according to my Kindle), Lauren Oliver talks about tearing down walls, I’m waiting for the story to come to an end, for things to make sense... And then: THIS. Freaking Acknowledgements. Really?



Don’t get me wrong: I really really liked this book. I did! There were scenes I loved. The Waterbury scene (Lena is so totally badass!), the mother-daughter-reunion scene. The scene where Hana and Lena meet again. Lena and Grace. Knowing what it’s like to be cured because of Hana’s POV. And so many more!



I just think there were about 50 pages missing in this book, because we don’t know what happens after the chaos in Portland. Did the rebellion win over Portland? I think so. But what happens to the rest of the country? Did similar things happen in other cities as well or just in Portland?

What happened to Hana after she left her husband to die in his house? Will she join the rebellion? I really want her to!



And most important: Who will Lena choose? I know she loves Alex more than she loves Julian (which I don’t understand, since we don’t really know Alex at all, and neither does Lena. Alex is this aggressive stranger who hates Lena when he sees her again. Why? What happened to him in the Crypts? How did he even get there? He was shot, for god’s sake!).



All in all, the book was amazing, minus the missing 50-100 pages. I read it in a couple of hours because I couldn't put it down. Some things happened that I was so excited about. But the ending was so, so disappointing. I've always liked comparing the Matched series to the Delirium series. At the end of Reached, there is an election. We don't know what the results of the election is but things actually changed in Reached. In Requiem there is just this massive riot, people die, walls are torn down, but we don't know if there is any change!



Now, want to know what I think? There is going to be a Delirium TV show. An ending like this is PERFECT for a TV show, because they can do so much with it. There are so many parts in the book that are missing, there is so much free space for the TV show...

It’s just that I’m not a massive fan of books that get turned into TV shows (except Game of Thrones), because they usually change a whole lot (*cough* Vampire Diaries), and after a season or two, you can’t find what’s happening in books anywhere in the show.



I’m giving Requiem  a 4 out of 5. I’d love to give it a 5 because I loved Lauren Oliver's writing and the characters, but I can’t ignore the ending. I don’t hate open endings, but this ending was just too open for me. Too many questions were not answered... And although I know the Delirium trilogy is a TRILOGY I’m hoping for a sequel. And now I have to call Amazon customer service because I threw my Kindle agains the wall after seing the word "Acknowledgements". I have a Kindle Keyboard and the backside got loose. :(


If you want to find out more about Lauren Oliver, click HERE to view her website
                                                                                               HERE to view her twitter 

25 Books Challenge:  9 Books!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd like to hear from you! Please leave a comment: